Security Basics mailing list archives

Securing SSH

From: "Roland Venter" <rolandv () xtra co nz>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2004 12:53:31 +1300

I need to manage several servers remotely via SSH, I'm interested in ways to
secure the connection and prevent unauthorised access.

My thoughts:
Limit access to only allow remote connections from our management network
via iptables rules. Works but what if our ISP changes our fixed IP, which
means we are effectively locked out from all the servers and requires a site
visit to update the rules.

We also need to provide access to engineers working from home using dialup,
etc

Some sort of client certificates to supplement username and password,

Recommendations on securing the SSH daemon etc

Any ideas and tips or random thoughts appreciated

Cheers,
Roland

Ethical Hacking at InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $720 off any
course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less.
We provide Ethical Hacking, Advanced Ethical Hacking, Intrusion Prevention,
and many other technical hands on courses.
Visit us at http://www.infosecinstitute.com/securityfocus to get $720 off
any course!