Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: how secure is a vlan

From: m <m () ruhrpott-rooters net>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2004 19:22:30 +0100

On Wed, 2004-01-07 at 11:02, tigerblue () puzzleapuma de wrote:
Hello Outthere,

I´m planing a reorganisation of our company network. I´m thinking about
a vlan to secure a part of the net. Is this technology as secure as
physical net ? Is there a way to break out of this virtual lan into
another part of the network ?

Maybe you want to read http://www.fefe.de/switch/ - but there techniques
like private vLAN by Cisco, which may (or may not - i'm not into this
stuff) prevent such things.

rgds,

Malte.

Ethical Hacking at InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $720 off any
course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less.
We provide Ethical Hacking, Advanced Ethical Hacking, Intrusion Prevention,
and many other technical hands on courses.
Visit us at http://www.infosecinstitute.com/securityfocus to get $720 off
any course!