Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Security Evaluation Project

From: "Clayton T. Dillard" <cdillard () securespeed cc>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 11:12:05 -0500

Donald,
        Might I suggest that you leave your fears behind and rely on your
education to guide you through the often tricky world of information
security and assurance - auditing, VA, Pen-testing, etc.

It seems like you need to get your hands on a platform that will
allow you to use and learn about security tools.  Speaking
personally, this is the best way to learn (on a test network of
course).

A good all around tool that should help you understand many of the
popular exploits and security tools available today can be found in
Knoppix-STD.  STD is the Security Tools Distribution of the popular
Knoppix "live-cd".  Once you download Knoppix-STD, read as much as
you can about the included tools, find a test network that you have
permission to use and then begin using the tools on target systems.
This is your best bet for learning quickly, IMHO.

Good luck on your project and thank you sincerely for serving in law
enforcement!

Best Regards,
Clayton T. Dillard, GSEC MCP
Chief Executive Officer