Security Basics mailing list archives

antivirus scanner choking on opened files

From: "J. Yoon" <supercool9000 () hotmail com>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 01:41:00 -0500

I might be getting nit picky here but here's a crucial point to be made...

I've opened several files in the same directory (different file types : MS Word, P2P, email, explorer, and photoshop) and then highlighted all these files to scan for virus.

Apparently, AVG virus scanner has no trouble scanning files that are currently being used whereas Norton chokes on the same set of files and spits out the following message:

"Unable to open the file C:\test1.doc The file is currently being used by another application or you don't have permission to open the file. Click here to go to symantec technical support knowledge base 3019.2"

I haven't tested other vendors because I deinstalled them a week ago.

Unless there's something else going on here that I should know about, I think a good virus scanner should be able to scan ALL files ESPECIALLY those that are currently being used.

Get a FREE online virus check for your PC here, from McAfee. http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/ibuy/campaign.asp?cid=3963

Ethical Hacking at InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $720 off any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less. We provide Ethical Hacking, Advanced Ethical Hacking, Intrusion Prevention, and many other technical hands on courses. Visit us at http://www.infosecinstitute.com/securityfocus to get $720 off any course! ----------------------------------------------------------------------------