Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: command line decryption tools

From: Sasha <spamit () mail com>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 10:57:53 +0200 (IST)

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004, Steve McGhee wrote:

does anyone know of a command-line tool to decrypt files that supports
multiple encryption standards?

im hoping for a general-purpose program that could decrypt AES, DES,
3DES, Blowfish, whatever.

i have some encrypted ciphertext (generated by a 3rd party program) and
its corresponding key, and i was hoping to see if they simply used
DES/3DES,etc. just out of curiosity.

hoping for a tool on Linux/*BSD/OSX. all i can find right now are libs
for programming such a tool. i figured it would have been done by now.

Openssl command line tool can encrypt/decrypt using many ciphers. Note
that the interoperability is not that simple as it seams: there are
different modes of operation (ECB, CBC, etc.) and there are many different
ways to convert the password to the key used for encryption.

Regards,
ASK

Ethical Hacking at InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $720 off any
course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less.
We provide Ethical Hacking, Advanced Ethical Hacking, Intrusion Prevention,
and many other technical hands on courses.
Visit us at http://www.infosecinstitute.com/securityfocus to get $720 off
any course!