Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Outpost firewall Pro 2.0.238.3121(290) has Back Orifice troja n program

From: Jeff McLaughlin <JMclaughlin () springsgov com>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 11:58:35 -0700

If I perform a UDP scan of my Raptor firewall, it will return 31337 as open
and identify it as Back Orifice (also happens to Trinoo).  At first this got
my attention and I physically verified that BackOrifice was not present on
the box.

What I believe it tells me is NMAP got a response from port 31337 which is
typically (not always) used by Back Orifice.  Try a UDP NMAP scan of the
firewall and see if it returns the same result.  Also, look at
http://www.hackfix.org/bofix/fix2.shtml to verify (or not) that backorifice
is on the system.

Hth,

Jeff McLaughlin