Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Why Security testing is required

From: Rishi Pande <rpande () vt edu>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 18:02:48 -0500

I think the greater reason for security is not what is going to happen to your software(at most it may crash), but what problem the software you built introduces in other software or the system it is running on. Using an example, if you build an insecure web application running on a *secure* box, you have introduced a way for an attacker to take over the system. Because a computer is nothing but a bunch of software and hardware operating together, the only way to assure that the entire box is safe is by making sure that each individual component (software or hardware) is safe. The main goal of software testing is to ensure that the component is secure, to my mind.
 Hope this helps.
                        Rishi Pande