Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: ghostly mail ports

From: <patrick () curioustechnology com>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 23:00:10 -0800

Hi Joseph,

I'm just digging through a problem with Windows Server 2003 SE and I found
your port problem at the Security Basics email archive
(http://seclists.org/lists/security-basics/2003/Jan/0090.html).  I was
wondering if you ever found resolution.

I too am finding that my server shows ports 25 and 110 as open even though
netstat on the box does not show them as open.  I suspect one of two things
could be going on:
1) Windows XP's ICF sometimes creates unusual behavior when scanning a
target box as can be outlined at the following link:
http://seclists.org/lists/nmap-dev/2003/Apr-Jun/0020.html
I'm wondering if there's some further strange behavior that hasn't been
identified due to this.
2) One of the other posters mentioned that they saw behavior like this that
seemed to be related to Norton Antivirus.  I happen to be running it here on
my XP box (the one from which I'm scanning).  I'm wondering if perhaps
Norton running on the client can create similar problems to ICF.

But these are just guesses.  Did you ever reach resolution?

- Patrick

Free trial: Astaro Security Linux -- firewall with Spam/Virus Protection

Protect your network with the comprehensive security solution that
integrates six applications for ease of use and lower TCO.

Firewall - Virus protection - Spam protection - URL blocking - VPN
- Wireless security.

Download 30-day evaluation at:
http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/Astaro_security-basics_040219