Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: security architecture

From: Hollis Johnson <hollis () cisco com>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 19:10:35 -0800

Gery, I don't have a pix offhand, but I certainly have seen many. I'm sure someone out there has a good pointer.

I always like to start with a "war story". I was reading Graff & van Wyk on the airplane yesterday and they had a war story on the Code Red virus where the IT team secured all the production servers tightly and stopped at their "scope of responsibility" That meant not employee equipment -- and the Code Red virus snuck in via the employee equipment then migrated to the production fleet. Seems to relate well to an IT group... I'm certain you could find something like this one which is appropriate.

Whether your IT staff is on board or not, a good war story nails home that "security is everyone's responsibility".

Depending on your audience do you

- Want to convince them that a focus on security is important? A few war stories, then some basic recommendations. - Want to give them specific recommendations and areas of focus? War stories and the fixes/circumventions -- start them thinking. - Already well security-aware.. What are the areas they should focus on. Any new tools, techniques. Interesting new products which might pique their interest??

Those are my recommendations, albeit very hi level. Might help -- or maybe not :-,

Good Luck. 70 IT staff is sometimes a Very Tough audience..