Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Securing webmail - changing a port necessary to ensure security?

From: "Phillip McCollum" <PMcCollum () sanmanuel com>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 13:38:44 -0800

Ooops, read through the posting too quickly.  Was thinking of blocking the source port and not the destination.  Sorry
about that.  Thanks,

*---
I may be wrong here, but as far as affecting clients accessing the webmail from another organization, it shouldn't
matter since clients normally use a random port number >1024 to access servers.  But I'm still pretty new to some of
this stuff, so someone please correct me if I'm mistaken.

Phillip McCollum
Network Technician - Level One
MCSE:Security, CNA, Security+, A+
San Manuel Band of Mission Indians
pmccollum () sanmanuel com
(909) 496-0310

Free trial: Astaro Security Linux -- firewall with Spam/Virus Protection

Protect your network with the comprehensive security solution that
integrates six applications for ease of use and lower TCO.

Firewall - Virus protection - Spam protection - URL blocking - VPN
- Wireless security.

Download 30-day evaluation at:
http://www.astaro.com/php/contact/securityfocus.php