Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Windows Remote Desktop

From: "Shawn Jackson" <sjackson () horizonusa com>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 09:47:47 -0800

Prasad S. Athawale [mailto:athawale () cse Buffalo EDU]
...Although step 4 is not technically part of the SSL protocol, it
provides the only protection against a form of security attack known
as a Man-in-the-Middle Attack. Clients must perform this step and must
refuse to authenticate the server or establish a connection if the
domain names don't match. If the server's actual domain name matches
the domain name in the server certificate, the client goes on to Step
5."

There are ways around that, as with anything. Using our current
situation,
with MyDoom A's open port and file transfer accept we can upload a host
file to a targets system, thus bypassing this client side check. Lets
play out a situation:

We have our mark, whose a frequent of E-Trade and a multimillion day
trader. We have already determined that Mr. Smith always connects
directly
to the E-Trade member site and not through the www main page link. A
quick
nmap scan of his system reveals that port 1327 is open, (MyDoom A) and
we
craft the correct packet using Scrappy (or whatever) and we transfer a
exe
package for the virus to run, which modifies his host file to point
E-Trade
to our hax0r server, which is just a proxy and captures all transmitted
traffic from E-Trade and from Mr. Smith. Now because we are l33t hax0r
we
already got access to the E-Trade server's SSL cert, don't ask me how,
I have no clue, social engineering?

Another way is the most SOHO's use Linksys/Netgear, etc NAT routers
which
use DHCP. You could set the router to point to your hax0r DNS server and

it would push that to the clients, then you would have control of their
Forward and Reverse DNS lookups. Seaming the protocol implementation is
most
likely an rDNS against the IP to confirm the servers common name
(www.watever.com).

I'm not saying ANY of this is easy, what I'm saying is that SSL is
TRANSPORT security with M-T-M protection as kind of a afterthought. The
original argument was that SSL prevented M-T-M attacks, but it doesn't
is
only mitigates the risk down to a acceptable level. None of us should
EVER
think that we are completely devoid of risk, because were not, there is
always a way to defeat a system and no system is completely secure.

Any additions anyone ?

Save me, anyone? The users are at the door, it won't hold much longer!

Shawn Jackson
Systems Administrator
Horizon USA
1190 Trademark Dr #107
Reno NV 89521

www.horizonusa.com
Email: sjackson () horizonusa com
Phone: (775) 858-2338
       (800) 325-1199 x338

Free trial: Astaro Security Linux -- firewall with Spam/Virus Protection

Protect your network with the comprehensive security solution that
integrates six applications for ease of use and lower TCO.

Firewall - Virus protection - Spam protection - URL blocking - VPN
- Wireless security.

Download 30-day evaluation at:
http://www.astaro.com/php/contact/securityfocus.php