Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Secured Linux box for Windows access

From: Patrick Benson <benson () chello se>
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 03:52:44 +0100

Matthew White wrote:

Hello all,

Having been a Windows administrator for many years I've finally taken
the plunge and started in earnest to learn about Linux. So far I'm
enjoying it as I've gotten all of the crucially important services to my
test box - games, office apps and Wine. Seriously however I'm really
curious about how to set up a remote data service for my Windows
clients.

Ideally, if I could have my Windows clients to be able to map a drive or
use a UNC share to the Linux box that would be perfect - this way I'd
not have to greatly retrain them.

The difficult parts are that I'll need the server to accessible over the
Internet, for it to be Open Source or low cost and to be able to
administer the box remotely also.

Hi Matthew,

If you're looking for a simple yet secure solution, for both your users
and yourself, you may want to look into:

OpenSSH - http://www.openssh.com/  and
WinSCP  - http://winscp.sourceforge.net/eng/about.php#remotehost

WinSCP uses PuTTY - http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/
in which Windows users can copy, move files securely using the ssh1,
ssh2 protocols. The GUI is a familiar Norton Commander- and
Explorer-like interface which your users will find quite comfortable to
use. Each user can issue their own keypair and send you their public
key, which you administer with permissions to your liking on the server.
The only port you need for all of this is tcp 22...

Regards,

Patrick

--
Patrick Benson
Stockholm, Sweden

Ethical Hacking at InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $720 off any
course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less.
We provide Ethical Hacking, Advanced Ethical Hacking, Intrusion Prevention,
and many other technical hands on courses.
Visit us at http://www.infosecinstitute.com/securityfocus to get $720 off
any course!