Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Securing webmail - changing a port necessary to ensure security?

From: Dedric Ramsey - Ramsey Consulting Svcs <ramseycs () bellsouth net>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 21:08:40 -0500

IMO, it gains you very little additional security, and would do more harm than good in the form of people not being able to use it in certain environments. Now that im thinking about it more, Im not even sure what good it would do you at all.

Dedric Ramsey
Ramsey Consulting Services
770-826-8008

Jennifer Fountain wrote:

I am going back and forth on this one with a consultant on this one and
need an expert opinion.  So, I turn to you :)  When configuring webemail
(such as owa) that is using https, is it better to change the default
port (443) to an uncommon port (20000)for security reasons?  Does it
secure it further by doing this?  Wouldn't it cause more issues than
anything if you try to access that site from inside an org that only
allows port 80/443 and 21 out?
Thank you in advance for any opinions you may share.

Kind Regards,

Jennifer Fountain

Free trial: Astaro Security Linux -- firewall with Spam/Virus Protection

Protect your network with the comprehensive security solution that
integrates six applications for ease of use and lower TCO.

Firewall - Virus protection - Spam protection - URL blocking - VPN
- Wireless security.

Download 30-day evaluation at:
http://www.astaro.com/php/contact/securityfocus.php