Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Life After CISSP?

From: H Carvey <keydet89 () yahoo com>
Date: 11 Feb 2004 19:27:49 -0000

You either KNOW it or you don't.
If you know it, you'll get it right... if not, lots o' luck to ya.

It's not a matter of knowing the right answer...it's a matter of knowing the answer that ISC^2 wants you to know.

1) What was the first thing you did after Officially becoming a CISSP?

Went about my business.  To paraphrase Dave Lee Roth from "Hot For Teacher", "I don't FEEL like a CISSP..."

2) Did your career take a turn or did it stay more or less the same?

Personally...same.  At the time ('99), it was a marketing tool for security businesses..."see, we have 3 CISSPs on
staff!"

3) What's the MOST lucrative field right now... and what additional certs
beyond CISSP are required?

Depends on the job description.  Most certs right now are just used to get you passed the recruiters and into someone's
office for an interview.  Lots of places want a CISSP, but don't really know why.  If "CISSP" doesn't appear on the
resume, it goes into the round file.

On a side note, in the interviews I've gone through for positions that required a CISSP, I have not once been asked to
provide proof.  I have voluntarily shown my card, but I have never been asked for so much as my cert number.

4) i don't want to leave my job just yet.. so a bonus or raise would be
nice. Could you recommend a good negotiation strategy that i can use in
conjunction with having the cissp cert?

I'd say whatever approach works best for your boss or company/organization.  Does your company have some kind of
program for professional self-improvement?  Or you can try making a business case for how your new cert helps the
company...

Free trial: Astaro Security Linux -- firewall with Spam/Virus Protection

Protect your network with the comprehensive security solution that
integrates six applications for ease of use and lower TCO.

Firewall - Virus protection - Spam protection - URL blocking - VPN
- Wireless security.

Download 30-day evaluation at:
http://www.astaro.com/php/contact/securityfocus.php