Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Windows Messenger Pop-up spam

From: H Carvey <keydet89 () yahoo com>
Date: 3 Dec 2004 12:10:14 -0000

Which will merely have lulled them into a false sense of security,
since the traffic is still making it to their IP stack. For windows
boxen, this is almost as good as "game over"

You may want to give at least one reason for this opinion.

I, too, would like to see something to support this statement.

"Game over", how?  Sure, the traffic still makes it to the IP stack, I agree...but how does this result in "game over"
with respect to Messenger spam?  Turn the Messenger service off and there's nothing there to handle the input...end of
story.  *That's* "game over".

H. Carvey
"Windows Forensics and Incident Recovery"
http://www.windows-ir.com