Security Basics mailing list archives

Simple Firewall: Summary

From: G Farnham <gfarnham () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 14:26:52 -0800

Thanks for all the responses.  Summary below.
Followup question:
Are there any good tools for testing firewall performance.
Specifically in terms of latency added by firewall.

1) This looks like best solution for me
Try PktFilter

http://www.hsc.fr/ressources/outils/pktfilter/

2) This one looks viable also
ou may be able to use peerguardian... A firewall of sorts for
peer-2-peer apps that uses a deny list to prevent the FBI/RIAA/MPAA etc.
from snooping your shared files.  You should be able to pick that up at
http://www.methlabs.org/methlabs.htm

3) recommendations for commercial firewalls would probably work, some
recommended ones are:
Kerio
tiny firewall
sygate

4) Win Remote access service RRAS
I think this would work, but more overhead than I want

4) Use windows IP filtering, Win2003 SP1 (like XP SP2 firewall), IPSec
white list
I don't think any of these meet my needs.
I need a deny capability.  Permit or White list will not help me as
the service (game server) needs to be open to the public.
As far as I know, built in IP filtering is "permit only" not deny capability.
XP SP2 firewall has no way to define a deny list for source IP.
[If I have any of this wrong, feel free to correct me, but please
provide details on how to do it or where to see it]

GDF