Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Re[2]: bridge detection

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 11:16:17 -0800

  Bridges USE the layer 2 header information to perform their function.
They don't *change* it, though, so their MAC address won't show up in
the traffic.

  [The original poster used "bridge", but I believe he actually meant
"gateway"; I believe he included an apology that English is not his first
language....
  Gateways, of course, DO change the MAC address of traffic they handle --
to whatever the owner wants!  Very often, it's a clone of the MAC address
of a single device previously at that location, so that the provider sees
no change even though the device has been replaced.]

David Gillett