Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Wireless security question

From: "Harshul Nayak" <harshul.nayak () patni com>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 09:31:31 +0530

Hello Marty,
have a well defined wireless security policy for your network
Make the User aware about the Security policies implemented, educate them ..

- Tell employees they own security and share the cost of security breaches.
- Explain to employees the risk of setting up access points (AP) without the
knowledge or consent of the network administrator (called Rogue Access
Points).
- When setting up Rogue APs, employees often fail to address security
settings, incorrectly assuming they are turned on.
- Implement a system where users know the names of the APs, and stress the
importance of connecting only to known APs.
- Educate users about the security risks of connecting wirelessly using
peer-to-peer networks.
- Warn users about the dangers of connecting in public or shared spaces
using ad hoc mode.
- Show users how to check security mechanisms on their PC and, if required,
enable them.

Implement Vigilant Security Policies
Without a policy requiring regularly scheduled security checks, you're
putting your network at risk for future security breaches.

-Develop a WLAN security policies and establish quarterly performance
objectives based on these policies.
- Regularly scan for rogue or unknown APs.
- Change default management passwords and SSIDs on APs.
- Implement the latest IEEE security specifications (currently 802.11i).

for more info, refer wireless best practices
http://www.intel.com/business/bss/infrastructure/wireless/security/best_prac
tices.htm

-cheers
Harshul
Information Security Consultant (ESM & Information Security Services)
Patni Computer Systems Limited
31/10, EL Zone, J-Block,
MIDC Bhosari, Pune 411026, India