Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Password management ----- the result

From: "Leon North" <leon_nc () linuxmail org>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 09:54:10 +0000

Hi,

Thanks for the replies, I have been able to check out a few freeware tools that do the job as a result.

We have tested a few, but liked Keepass by Sourceforge.net the best- http://keepass.sourceforge.net/
This allows us to create a database for each group in the IT department with a different password each.
It also has a few other features that we liked, and is quite intuitive. Having compared quite a few applications for
this I can highly recommend this utility for others trying to grapple with password management.

Leon

Hi,

We are looking for advice on how others handle recording of passwords in IT
departments.

Whenever we look at this all we get back are Single Sign On (SSO) & related
solutions, which is not what we want at the moment. We are more interested
in purely secure & granular network storage for passwords. I'm surprised
there isn't more around that does this, given that there must be plenty of
IT departments still without SSO, that are needing to remember a number of
regularly changing passwords for various systems. How do they record them,
but also only allow appropriate levels of access, i.e. access to passwords
of systems that each person in the department should have access to?

So far, apart from simply encrypted, password protected spreadsheets, the
only solution that I have found that does precisely this is the Cyber-Ark
Password Vault. If anybody has used this or any other similar products I'd
be very interested to hear what, and how well they worked.

If not, what do you do instead?

Any help appreciated.

Leon