Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: RPC over HTTPS security risks

From: <adisegna () siscocorp com>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 12:37:13 -0500

I had the same issues myself.  It's very hard to give in and allow the
common folk USERS access to your mail server from the outside world. I
debated the scenario a lot before I gave in. In any case, it's
inevitable with today's road warriors.

The proper way to set this up is with a Front-End Exchange server in a
DMZ connected through ISA server into the internal Back-End Exchange
server. However, not all of us have the luxury of this solution.

The combination of things that need to happen in order for this to work
successfully are (without going into too much detail):

Proper training of the USERS:
        Explain the need for updated virus protection on their home or
roving machines.
        Explain Window Update and tell them to use it.
        Explain the fact that when accessing webmail from a public
computer there is a     chance that keyloggers and other malicious
software could be installed.
        Explain the need to shut down all instances of the browser when
finished checking       email. OWA doesn't use cookies so closing the
browser is all that is needed to log    off.
        Just because they write down their passwords on a sticky note
and put them    under their keyboard at work doesn't mean they can do it
on the road too. This is        no longer an acceptable practice.

Server Side
        Use SSL on the Server for everything exchange (public folders).
        Allow port 443 and 25 to enter the machine. There is no need for
port 80 to be   open.
        Use software like Symantec AntiVirus for Exchange or something
similar to protect      the inboxes.
        Restrict the number of recipients that one user can send to.
        Limit sending and receiving sizes to something manageable
        Limit the number of connections
        Create a mailbox quota to prohibit send and receive when mailbox
limit has been  reached.
        Keep up on the spam rules and block most attachments.
        Windows update of course.
        Be consistent with checking the logs
        Tweak IIS lock down to prevent any unwanted commands from being
past to the
        webserver

Don't trust the user to do the right thing. Lock the down the server the
best you can.

Thanks

AD