Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: vnc through ssh for windows

From: "Michael Puchol" <mpuchol () sonar-security com>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 03:22:33 +0100

Hi,

---- Original Message -----
From: "NoSpam" <nospam () dranem org>
To: <security-basics () securityfocus com>
Sent: Saturday, December 04, 2004 5:37 AM
Subject: vnc through ssh for windows

How is the setup on a windows box setup?   with ssh  as the transport?????

Computer A runs VShell server plus TightVNC server. TightVNC is configured
to listen on port X. Computer B has an SSH client (PuTTY works just fine),
which is used to establish a tunnel to A. The tunnel also maps a local port
(say Y) on B to port X on A. Then, all you need to run is your VNC client
and connect it to 127.0.0.1:Y. All your VNC traffic will be wrapped inside
the tunnel.

for Either PCAnywhere or  VNC [any flavour]
with ssh  as the transport?????

As long as static ports can be configured, you can use whatever remote
control software you prefer, just follow the same rules.

I assume it needs to be piped through  something like cygwin/ssh????

You could do that. I prefer VShell as it gives me finer control over what
IPs are allowed to connect, what ports they are allowed to map, and what
services they have access to (shell, SFTP, etc). For clients I use either
PuTTY or Entunnel, the latter being nice for keeping connections open all
the time, as it can automatically reconnect etc., PuTTY is more "manual".

Here are a couple of sites with info to get you going:

http://www.trekweb.com/~jasonb/articles/vnc_ssh.shtml

http://martybugs.net/smoothwall/puttyvnc.cgi

Best regards,

Mike