Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: AD in the DMZ . . . OK?

From: Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers <bugtraq () planetcobalt net>
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2004 19:45:59 +0200

On 2004-08-01 Dieter Sarrazyn wrote:
On 2004-07-30 Dieter Sarrazyn wrote:
Wouldn't using LDAP be a solution here? Every AD system is in fact
also an ldap server.

If the only thing needed is authentication with userid/password,
then this is fairly simple to do. A special group could be created
containing all users that are allowed to use this type of
authentication. Using a "ldap-read" user which has only read access
to this group is pretty secure I guess.

If I'm reading you correctly that would still require access from the
DMZ to the DC, thus still violating the DMZ. No host in the DMZ
should ever be able to access any service inside the internal
network.

What about your email traffic then?

What about it? Your internal MTA polls the MTA in your DMZ which
receives mail from the outside world.

The traffic I'm talking about is only a very limited ldap traffic with
a very restricted user.

I know. However, it doesn't matter how limited the traffic is. The
internal network should not be accessible from the DMZ. Period. Of
course there may be exceptions, but I seriously doubt that a web-
application qualifies as such.

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--
"Those who would give up liberty for a little temporary safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety, and will lose both."

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
Visit us at:
http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html