Security Basics mailing list archives

U.S. National Security Awareness Day (NSAD)

From: "Gideon T. Rasmussen, CISSP, CISM, CFSO, SCSA" <gideon () infostruct net>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 17:56:02 -0400

Please join us in observing U.S. National Security Awareness Day (NSAD) on September 10th. There are continued threats to the security of the United States. Our security posture must continue to improve.

Here is how you can get involved on NSAD and help improve our nation's security throughout the year:

Citizens

° Prepare your household for natural disasters and terrorist attacks, be ready - http://www.ready.gov
° Plan and practice emergency exit routines with family members
° Contact your government representatives
° Praise military, police, fire, medical and security personnel
° Be supportive of deployed troops
° Check the batteries in your smoke alarms
° Be sure your home systems are secure: Install firewall, antivirus and practice safe computing - http://www.staysafeonline.info ° Protect information that might reveal your identity or that of others - http://www.ftc.gov/infosecurity

Government Representatives

° Give speeches detailing security posture and future initiatives
° Introduce new security legislation
° Enhance physical and cyber security measures

Security Organizations

° Author security articles
° Provide presentations to community groups, schools and universities
° Hold open houses
° Address the media

Business

° Launch a security awareness program
° Obtain a message of support from the CEO
° Hold a luncheon and discuss security topics
° Send security awareness tips via e-mail
° Create a security web site
° Hang awareness posters
° Distribute an awareness handbook
° Reexamine disaster preparedness
° Revitalize the information security program

Media

° Interview security professionals, government representatives, police and fire departments
° Provide comprehensive coverage
° Ask "the tough questions"

NSAD is a movement in the public interest. Security must be a part of our culture to be effective. NSAD marks beginning of the Department of Homeland Security's National Preparedness Month. For more information refer to http://www.ussecurityawareness.org.

Please consider sending out an e-mail announcement to friends, family and business associates in support of observing September 10, 2004 as National Security Awareness Day. The key to security is embedded in the word itself. SEC - U - R - IT - Y

Want to make a difference? Let's do it together.

Kind regards,

Gideon T. Rasmussen, CISSP, CISM, CFSO, SCSA
Ken M. Shaurette, CISSP, CISM, CISA
Melissa Guenther

http://www.ussecurityawareness.org

Computer Forensics Training at the InfoSec Institute. All of our class sizes
are guaranteed to be 12 students or less to facilitate one-on-one
interaction with one of our expert instructors. Gain the in-demand skills of
a certified computer examiner, learn to recover trace data left behind by
fraud, theft, and cybercrime perpetrators. Discover the source of computer
crime and abuse so that it never happens again.

http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/computer_forensics_training.html