Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: User Activity Monitoring

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 08:12:13 -0700

  There's a certain security usefulness (which needs to be balanced
against issues of morale and trust...) to letting users think you're
monitoring them more than you can really afford to.
  But when you say

monitoring users activities off the the network

AND

and we don't want them to think with this program we are monitoring
what they doing.

well, that basically sounds like entrapment, or worse.

  Perhaps I (or you?) have misunderstood the purpose of this
exercise?

Dave Gillett