Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: AIDE warnings following kernel upgrade

From: "Michael Shirk" <shirkdog () cryptomail org>
Date: Mon Aug 23 09:22:40 EDT 2004

Some important things are:
Do you have an offline backup of the aide.db??
Do you have remote syslog capabilities??
These are controls that could be necessary depending on your risk level. If you do not have either of these, you can
just do some basic steps to see what is going on.
netstat -an
lsof -i tcp and udp (also there is an option i think -U that shows ALL networking daemons and there processes).
Also,
tcpdump, or ethereal or snort and just see what packets are coming to you server. If you think someone is on the box,
also refer to Securityfocus.com and look for live forensic tools and information.
All of this will tell you if anyone is actually on your box.
Hope this gets you started.
Shirkdog