Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: AS/400 Logging Question

From: James Turnbull <james () lovedthanlost net>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 22:49:21 +1000

Led Slinger wrote:

I was hoping that someone on this list has some information pertaining to sending AS/400 log records to a remote (syslog) server? The AS/400 is running on OS/400 and that's about all I know about it. I am working with a team that is responsible for developing a central logging facility for our company, but they also want to send logfiles from the AS/400 to this server as well and spelling AS/400 (or is it AS400) is about as far as I can go with this one. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Been a while since I've done anything AS/400 like but the more recent version can run Linux and AIX on partitions so they should have syslog capabilities. Also see this link - http://www.iseries400experts.com/aej/article.jsp?article_id=39052 - this one might need registration - it's for a magazine article

Also the older OS/400 versions had a tool called PASE which was an application environment for AS/400 which allows some *nix-like tools to be run in a shell. Maybe it included syslog or you could port it.

Regards

James Turnbull