Security Basics mailing list archives

Computer Security For The Frugal Home User

From: "Andy Cuff" <lists () securitywizardry com>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 22:20:27 +0100

Hi All,
I have reviewed and significantly updated the Windows home user page on the
site, at http://securitywizardry.com/homeuse.htm which details various free
for homeuse products from anti-virus and personal firewall to net nanny's
and spyware eradicators.  I found this is a vital step in helping to reduce
the influx of malware into the work network, by preventing a lot of it at
source.  All too often users are refusing to pay for security software or
refusing to renew it once their subscription expires.
Also within the page I suggest to the reader, as I'm doing to you now, to
put pressure on their System Administrators to request from the suppliers of
their work Anti-Virus that they permit "Free For Home Use" Where this isn't
available try and include it when the AV contract is up for renewal.  It's
been my experience that a lot of AV vendors will gladly do this, the meaner
vendors will do it for a minimal fee per user supposedly to offset the cost
of support.

Hope this helps, and respect to the various suppliers of the free software

-andy cuff

Talisker's Computer Security Portal
Computer Network Defence Ltd
http://www.securitywizardry.com

Computer Forensics Training at the InfoSec Institute. All of our class sizes
are guaranteed to be 12 students or less to facilitate one-on-one
interaction with one of our expert instructors. Gain the in-demand skills of
a certified computer examiner, learn to recover trace data left behind by
fraud, theft, and cybercrime perpetrators. Discover the source of computer
crime and abuse so that it never happens again.

http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/InfoSecInstitute_security-basics_040817