Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Filtering SPAM with Linux

From: Brandon Niemczyk <maccorin () cfl rr com>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 17:31:13 -0400

On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 02:28:47PM +0000, ivan.hernandez () globalsis com ar wrote:
Hello. I have a box with linux that is acting as NAT and Firewall (also
cache with squid and reverse proxy with pound).
I have an internal MS Exchange server that goes to internet via NAT, and
i dont have any chance of removing it, but i would like to filter the
incoming traffic to remove spam.
My net looks something like this:

INTERNET <---> x.x.x.x LINUX BOX 10.1.20.100 <---> 10.1.20.1 MS Exchange

What can i use in the linux box? I have found things like MessageWall and
so, but i need better recomendations from people that already doed it.
I was using spamassassin for a while, but have found popfile much better
for the job on a personal desktop,  I'm not sure if your environment
would allow a week or so to train it.  But if so, it's givin me _very_
reliable results (no false positives after first week, only one false
negative).

--
Brandon Niemczyk                        Public PGP Key ID: CAB3D8D6
                                        hkp://subkeys.pgp.net