Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: IPS vs Firewall

From: "Josh Mills" <JMills () cnbwaco com>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 14:11:24 -0500

If you put the IPS outside of the firewall then be prepared for some massive amounts of logs! I currently have a
similar setup and just the raw number of people setting out there running nessus and other tools quickly filled my logs
up. I have since tuned the box and now recieve a decent amount of logs but i am wondering if it still doing me any good
in a highly tuned state? my original idea was to put it outside the firewall so i could see everything that is hitting
the firewall, but this just isnt possible in my setup.