Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: A question about modem security

From: David Williams <david () mirvale com au>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 03:46:14 +1000

Adnan Ali wrote:

I have read somewhere that dial-up questions using
modems are inherently insecure. Can somebody please
explain to me why it is so?

Thanks,

Yahoo! Photos: High-quality 4x6 digital prints for 25ยข
http://photos.yahoo.com/ph/print_splash

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors. Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization. Visit us at: http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html

proly because of +++ath0 (ping -p 2b2b2b415448300d <target>) you can write a pattern that will disconect the modem then make it dial whatever number you want.
add S2=255 to your init string to fix it
works with most  hardware modems (i don't think it works with winmodems)

David Williams
SecureGate Australia