Security Basics mailing list archives

Spy-Ware Detection for Small Networks

From: "Thiago Lima" <thiagolima () webforce com br>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 12:15:45 -0300

    I run several small networks using a Linux Server to act as a
Firewall/Proxy HTTP/Mail server/Caching DNS/DHCP/Samba File Server for
Windows networks (98/XP/2000).

    I also do desktop maintanance and I'm seening a growing problem in
Spy-wares and malware. It is becaming unmanageable to deal with it.

    I've tryed to educate users, but they really seen not care, they click
on everything they can.

    So I'm looking for some solutions that can make my life easier, and I
want some comments on what I've came thru to try to find a balance between
all solutions that can prevent most infections and keep the usability of the
system.

    1) Spy-bot : Looks to me that it is the best tool to remove
spyware/malware, but it is host directed. It's hard to run it on all
machines periodically. There's any way to centralize it ? Or there's any
other program that will run in a centralized way?

    2) Firewall blocking List : I've seen some IP lists that will prevent
spywares to "call home". It is usefull to detect machines that are infected
and blocking spyware to call home, but it does not prevent users from
getting dirty. It helps a lot and I'm using
http://www.geocities.com/yosponge/ list. Does anyone knows others lists?

    3) Content filtering : Viruses spreads by mail, spyware/malware spreads
mostly by HTTP. Maybe filtering some words/parterns in HTTP Proxy I could
block some problems.  Dans-Gaurdian seens to be a solution for this. Does
any one knows any list of words/sites, file extensions or any alternative to
this?

    4) Removing user access to his own machine : Removing users privilegies
(at least in XP/20000) will make spyware/malware infection harder or not?
Looks to me that at least IE infections still contiunes. At opinion on that?

    5) IDS : Using snort or any other IDS will help me with malware/spyware
detection?

    Is that all I can do? I'm open to any tip, solution or reading that can
help me with this annoing problem.

Regards and thanks in advanced for all replys,
Thiago Madeira de Lima.

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
Visit us at:
http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html