Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Snort Help - Network IDS

From: "DeGennaro, Gregory" <Gregory_DeGennaro () csaa com>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 11:42:29 -0700

The tap would be the best method.

Another method would be this:

servers-switch---|
servers-switch---|---Switch---Firewall
servers-switch---|     |
                             | Span Port (not spanning tree)

                   IPS\IDS-System

Some span ports can support large amounts of traffic; therefore there is a
chance of packet loss to the IDS system.

You can also use a hub, however not recommended for Enterprise networks.

Of course, this is a source of failure which makes the tap even more luring
since the tap will fail open like Chris stated.

--Greg