Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Secure host newbie - fun - humm

From: Fredrik Hult <fredrik () hult co uk>
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2004 22:05:04 +0100

There is a third option that is usually viable for remote exploits.
If it is possible to deduce a signature of the attack then an inline IPS or application proxy could provide protection from the attack while enabling Ops to patch the server when the patch is availible or when it is convenient.

Sadly of course this only works if the admin is not complacent. It is also useful when being a customer of a software vendor that takes a long time to provide patches to their products. The complacent hope that one will not get infected is largely not applicable anymore as the worms scan the whole net (which of course implies that the vuln get into a worm but in the win32 world I would say this is more the norm now).

Duty of Care is an interesting topic and (IANAL) is dependant on the resources of the victim. OTOH one could argue that a victim should not handle data that might result in such degree of harm that the victim has no financial or practical way of fulfilling its duty. Cost benefit analysis is a somewhat inexakt science and the Duty of Care needed is ultimately decided upon by the courts (which in the UK at least have several different ways to calculate this).

For 0day exploits one could argue that the compromise was not forseeable and the extent of the damage could not be quantified. OTOH one could argue that a diligent InfoSec professional would assume that the systems software components will contain undiscovered flaws (history of course proves this) and thus should have taken steps to mitigate damage in case of full system compromise.

As for not running servers if they have holes in them.. well then I think it might be time to shut down most public and private organisations that process information in paper as they are probably more insecure in their handling of information. If these organisations can tolerate the risks involved with handling very sensitive data, then surely the organisations and the courts will be able to transpose their resoning to the interconnected digital realm?

As for DoS attacks I would just add that this threat is always present in the age of zombies and it is more important to have good relations with ones connectivity providers as they will be the ones that will mitigate the attacks.

BTW sorry if I reply in an inconsistent manner as I have not caught the beginning of this thread.

Fredrik