Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Network Traffic Monitor

From: "Eric Thirolle" <edt1 () duke edu>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 15:01:13 -0400

There are many packet capture packages, like snort on Linux. On Windows,
there are some freeware options, like Ethereal or AnalogX Packet Monitor. Of
course, you would have to place the Linux or Windows box somwehere to the
outside of the switches, with two NICs installed. You would get different IP
address info depending on whether you put it inside or outside of the
router, as the router is doing address translation.

Alternatively, your may be able to monitor traffic on your firewall or
router. E.g., a Windows freeware app called WallWatcher can monitor traffic
on a Linksys router. Some are monitorable via SNMP.

Is that too basic? That just about exhausts my knowledge in this area.

Eric