Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: wireless help

From: "David" <David () cawdgw net>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 16:49:09 +0200

Watch for the connection, then using a laptop, airsnort, and a Pringles can
covered with metal foil, do a war-walk around your allowed users, with the
Pringles can (no top and a slot in the bottom for the wireless nick card
antenna) pointed OUT away from your users and look for the intruder.

or buy a freq analyzer with a range within your wireless range (something
handling GHz to GHz) and do the war-walk looking for someone transmitting.
Walk up to them and hit them over the head with your Fair Usage policy,
hopefully killing them.

or use the Pringles can on your wireless receiver, shut all the wireless
users off and rotate the Pringles can till someone suddenly connects with
your wireless access point. take a boy  scout who can follow an azimuth, and
walk up on them, and require them to do public service, tie knots, start
fires, and earn merit badges.

or build a system using reflective systems to only allow the allowed users
to receive the signal, cause it's very likely it's not illegal for them to
piggyback your network to the internet as long as they do not attempt to
penetrate your systems. Even more unlikely if your transmission footprint
falls outside of your private property.

Dave