Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Netinfo Manager

From: Jos Kirps|EducDesign <jos.kirps () educdesign lu>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 12:48:29 +0200

some more thoughts about the netinfo problem here:

you don't even need a terminal and the nidump command to read all
encrypted passwords, you can also do this using the 'netinfo manager'
app which is part of any osx installation (probably the netinfo mngr uses
nidump to get the information). if the root account has been enabled
(which can also be done using the netinfo manager), everyone will
be able to read the encrypted root password (as everyone can access
the netinfo manager by default as far as i remember). maybe it would be a
solution if nobody except the administrator of the machine can access
terminals and the netinfo manager app.

yours sincerefully
jos kirps