Security Basics mailing list archives

Is there a kernel patch to stop single user mode?

From: John Hebert <johnhebert () it-group com>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 11:13:39 -0500

Is there a way to stop someone with physical access to the box from booting
into single user mode and changing the root password? I'm not interested in
solutions that require setting a boot or poweron password in the BIOS. I'd
like something that could be done in the Linux kernel, so as to apply to
multiple platforms.

Thanks,
John Hebert

Captus Networks
Are you prepared for the next Sobig & Blaster?
 - Instantly Stop DoS/DDoS Attacks, Worms & Port Scans
 - Precisely Define and Implement Network Security
 - Automatically Control P2P, IM and Spam Traffic
FIND OUT NOW -  FREE Vulnerability Assessment Toolkit
http://www.captusnetworks.com/ads/42.htm