Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: New RPC exploit for the latest RPC vulnerability

From: Dan Codespoti <Dan.Codespoti () channelinx com>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 10:38:47 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: jburzenski () americanhm com [mailto:jburzenski () americanhm com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 17, 2003 3:07 PM
To: security-basics () securityfocus com
Subject: RE: New RPC exploit for the latest RPC vulnerability

Has anyone had any bad experiences with this patch?

(http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security
/bulletin/MS03-039.asp)

<snip>
I've had one bad experience with it.  I patched a couple of nights ago, and
when the box came up after the reboot, it refused to see the network.  The
card was active, said that the network was there, but no traffic would move.
Neither inbound nor outbound was functional, for any protocol on the host.
After my heart started again, I rebooted the box once more, and all came up
fine.  I currently have no explanation, and likely will not have time to
investigate fully.  However, I patched another box immediately after this
event, and it showed no ill effects whatsoever.
HTH
Dan Codespoti

Captus Networks
Are you prepared for the next Sobig & Blaster?
 - Instantly Stop DoS/DDoS Attacks, Worms & Port Scans
 - Precisely Define and Implement Network Security
 - Automatically Control P2P, IM and Spam Traffic
FIND OUT NOW -  FREE Vulnerability Assessment Toolkit
http://www.captusnetworks.com/ads/42.htm