Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Windows Server 2003 - Not secure from my test but OSX from Mac is secure from the start

From: "Nero, Nick" <Nick.Nero () disney com>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 16:32:10 -0400

About your point on resetting the local admin password . . .. Try
Syskey.  When enabled in mode 3 you can store the system encryption key
on a removable floppy (or even a USB Jumpdrive mounted to A:).  This
means that without this device/disk on bootup, there is NO chance of
decrypting/resetting the admin password without a lengthy brute force
attack - I believe it uses RC4 at 128bit and the password is a minimum
of 15 characters with the UTF-8 characterset.  This should make for
something like a 1 year cpu time bruteforce attack.  Furthermore, the
local data can be secured with Encrypting File System which on XP SP1
and Win2k3 is 256bit AES.  When coupled with roaming profiles (for the
EFS cert storage), this means that a system with Syskey enabled in mode
3 and encrypted data could not be compromised even with an incredible
amount of unrestricted physical access (and remember, if someone has
unrestricted physical access to your box, it ain't your box anymore)
their only option is an equally incredible length of time and cpu cycles
dedicated to a brute force attack of either the SAM database or the
encrypted file system.

Sadly most Windows admins are not fully aware of all the security tools
at their disposal and therefore dismiss the security of the platform.

Check out this page:
http://www.infosecwriters.com/projects/osscan/results.php  Although it
doesn't show OSX, it does show that based on a default install Win2k3
stands up extremely well to the Solaris's and other OS's.

I have to agree with the previous statement that judging a default
install is pretty stupid.  Although, I am pretty sure that a huge
portion of MS's security woes are that the average Joe installs a box
and then just lets it go, no box that has any real exposure to anyone
should be left at default.  It is an interesting argument, but I think
it is semantics.

Nick Nero
CISSP
The Walt Disney Company