Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: File Encryption - Part II

From: "Rick Jones" <rwjones2001 () hotmail com>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 00:47:37 +0000

I have put off file encryption for a long time, but this thread prompted me to get started.

So I created a folder called "Secrets," then created a text document called "Passwords," then did everything I was supposed to do to encrypt "Secrets" and all of its subfolders and files.

The "Passwords" file turned a nice green color and showed itself as being encrypted. So far, so good.

Then I e-mailed the "Passwords" file to someone, and asked them if they could open it. Sure enough, they could.

So I am wondering...just what is file encryption supposed to accomplish?

What I would like is a program or something I can use to encrypt a folder and all of its contents, and that absolutely will not open without a password or some other fairly airtight indicator that the creator -- and no one other than the creator -- wants to get in.

Can anyone suggest how I might accomplish this?

Thanks,

RWJ

Compare Cable, DSL or Satellite plans: As low as $29.95. https://broadband.msn.com

Captus Networks Are you prepared for the next Sobig & Blaster? - Instantly Stop DoS/DDoS Attacks, Worms & Port Scans - Precisely Define and Implement Network Security - Automatically Control P2P, IM and Spam Traffic FIND OUT NOW - FREE Vulnerability Assessment Toolkit http://www.captusnetworks.com/ads/42.htm