Security Basics mailing list archives

strange data traffic

From: danielgil () softhome net
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 16:29:54 -0600

Hi Iam using MRTG to monitor the internet traffic in my server, during day time the traffic is very intense and by night the traffic slow down significantly. This behavior repeat day after day. But a few days ago the traffic did not slow down as I expected and the MRTG show a very intense traffic activity during night-time. My question is:
Can I say that this is hacker activity (perhaps downloading files)?.
Could it be a robot (the ones that index html pages)?. My logs doesn't give good hints about this.

by the way, there is no large files (available to simple users) to download in the server. any clue ?.
Thanks in advance

Captus Networks Are you prepared for the next Sobig & Blaster? - Instantly Stop DoS/DDoS Attacks, Worms & Port Scans - Precisely Define and Implement Network Security - Automatically Control P2P, IM and Spam Traffic FIND OUT NOW - FREE Vulnerability Assessment Toolkit http://www.captusnetworks.com/ads/42.htm