Security Basics mailing list archives

AW: File Encryption - Laptop

From: Meidinger Chris <chris.meidinger () badenit de>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 17:43:31 +0100

EFS only encrypts specific files and folders. Also the keys are local on the
hard drive (silly thing that). EFS ist not considered secure (at least not
by anyone that i know.) It is designed for transparent encryption to prevent
one user of a computer from accessing files from another. If you should
decide to use it make sure to designate a recovery agent. Otherwise the
files are lost should you delete or lose the profile.

I recently was looking for a similar solution, though i needed something
more complicated (search this group for my posts with title Secure Boot
Manager if interested) and found 2 excellent products:

Safe Boot Pro/Enterprise from www.safeboot.com
Drive Crypt from SecurStar GmbH www.drivecrypt.com

Of those two i preferred safe boot. It is also a true enterprise solution,
allowing you to remotly manage machines, create groups, install the
software, and change settings from a central console. We did not end up
buying it, but i would have recommended it had it fit my peculiar needs (was
trying to hide 2 OS's from one another)

Hope this was a help,

Chris Meidinger

badenIT GmbH