Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: ssh tunnelling

From: "Bergeron, Jared" <jared.bergeron () office xerox com>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 10:25:44 -0700

SSH tunneling is a concern of mine as well. With the proper "End Point" you can basically bypass anything you need to.
I suppose the same would apply to stunnel and other ssl tunneling apps

For example I have Wingate on the remote machine. This listens for www and socks 5 (these are all I seem to need but
will also do ftp, dns, etc). All I have to do is tunnel those ports and I can run web thru that proxy and any socks5
clients (IM, IRC, etc) I can run thru there as well.

I also have 1494 tunneled to a citrix box at home for anything else I need. Granted the citrix port is less of a risk
because the "payload" is just screen changes and mouse movements, but does provide a productivity and data exchange
concern.

Its scary...

Jared Bergeron