Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Windows Bot/Trojan/Backdoor scanner

From: Markus Rossi <securityfocus () familyrossi com>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 13:45:29 +0300

Hi,

I'd suggest logging activity on your router/firewall or running an IDS to identify IRC or any other unauthorised network usage. That way you don't have to stay on top of the latest malware developments, just identify "normal" network activity and block & log everything else.

Another approach is a distributed firewall (running on every workstation) such as Symantec/Norton which you can configure from a central console. Just like ZoneAlarm it should ask for permission to allow any new software to access the network. This will effectively block both backdoors and (if somehow they manage to install them) IRCbots and such.

Portscanners are used for finding out what services are running on the network. This includes backdoors/trojans. My favourite is superscan, which includes lists of known trojans. You can also add your own entries.

Regards,
MR

Andrew Hecox wrote:

greetings!

... as the subject implies, I'm looking for something to scan for backdoor software on the Windows platform. For example, if a system has
been compromised by a worm such as msblast or bugbear which installs a
backdoor, I'd like to be able to scan the system to see if anyone has
taken advantage of *that* backdoor to install another piece of malicious
software like an IRC bot.

The primary complication is that software would only be used in situations
where it was scanning machines AFTER they had been infected some other
virus. No software (like tripwire, etc) can be installed before the
infection.

First question- obviously there is lots of software that will search for
trojans but is there any which will be cutting edge enough to catch the
vast majority of the latest and greatest remote control malware?

Second question- if so, is any of it substantially better the regular
antivirus software?

Finally- given the problem of trying to detect whether a random system
in the wild has faced additional compromises (in a cost-effective manner),
is there a better solution to the problem? The current *best* solution is
to re-format the system (better safe the sorry) but that situation may be
getting untenable given limited resources.

SwatIt came to mind but I don't have any meaningful evidence relating to
its effectiveness.

any ideas, comments, or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

-cheers!

-Andrew

Captus Networks Are you prepared for the next Sobig & Blaster? - Instantly Stop DoS/DDoS Attacks, Worms & Port Scans - Precisely Define and Implement Network Security - Automatically Control P2P, IM and Spam Traffic FIND OUT NOW - FREE Vulnerability Assessment Toolkit http://www.captusnetworks.com/ads/42.htm