Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: HIDS recommendations

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 14:02:47 -0700

  There's another category, which include Entercept and the
technology Okena (sp?) built before being acquired by Cisco.
These essentially insert shims into key API/syscall interfaces,
and log/alert/block calls which are identified as "dangerous".
  I was running Entercept on a server when a co-worker plugged
in a laptop that had a virus that replaced notepad.exe.  Norton
AntiVirus caught the infected version of notepad.exe when it got
written to the server's hard drive; Entercept told me which
machine had tried to replace a Windows system file....

David Gillett