Security Basics mailing list archives

Need help from a group of experts. I am not a network expert but I play one on tv.

From: Randy Opper <ropper () firstsecurityonline com>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 20:36:16 -0400

I am an owner of a small business with less than 25 staff members. We do not have the budget to afford a tech person on staff. I am a power user that has taken over the task of trying to secure our T1 and I am unclear of how to handle a few issues.

1. Each day my Sonicwall firewall is hit buy at least 3 Sub Seven attacks. The firewall does say that they are blocked. I have converted my users to all use webmail with no attachment download to prevent pop3 mail virus issues. ? How do you track down these attackers when the ip address will not resolve and when i trace them they just don't list. I get the ip from the firewall log and try to trace route to no avail.

                ? Does the webmail stop all issues of mail attacks?
? Does a program exist that would reverse hack or fight back against these attacks daily? ? Does a program exist that could test my network on the internet to see if the firewall is good enough or will someone tell me how I can try to trash it to test it.

Randy Opper
First Security
Almost A Network Admin

P.S. I also run Zone Alarm Pro at home, Does it work?

Captus Networks Are you prepared for the next Sobig & Blaster? - Instantly Stop DoS/DDoS Attacks, Worms & Port Scans - Precisely Define and Implement Network Security - Automatically Control P2P, IM and Spam Traffic FIND OUT NOW - FREE Vulnerability Assessment Toolkit http://www.captusnetworks.com/ads/42.htm