Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: AV removal malware

From: Jimi Thompson <jimit () myrealbox com>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 20:43:34 -0500

I know it's obvious, but I have to ask. Just for grins, have you tried reinstalling the AV software? I've seen end users uninstall it deliberately because "it slows my system down". Will they confess to it? NEVER! Then they want to complain because they get a virus *SIGH* Another thing to try might be virus scanning from one of the vendors that offers a bootable virus product (F-prot, etc.) and see if the machine can be cleaned up that way.

I work for a university and we've seen a couple of things come through recently that tamper with anti-virus software. One even puts itself in the "exclusion" list, so that it isn't scanned.

HTH,

Jimi

download an app like "Penguin Sleuth Bootable CD" so you can view the
mounted drive without fear of infecting anything further and recover any
data the user needs.    http://www.linux-forensics.com/
(scan with AV after data is recovered)

then I would re-roll the machine with a new image and return it to the
user.  It would take less time, unless it's mandatory you provide a
reason why the machine is hosed.