Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Cisco vs. Snort

From: Sebastian Schneider <ses () straightliners de>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 03:45:31 +0200

The question is, if it needs to be a hardware device or a usual computer
running an IDS.

There are several NIDS's available: Snort, Shadow, Cisco Secure, Enterasys
Dragon, ISS RealSecure and NFR Security NID.

Regarding the "rules" problem, snort has one of the biggest database available
and can be written easily by yourself. Actually the problem in writing rules
is that issue about false positives/false negatives.
The "overall security" is not depending on how many rules are installed, but
if they fit your needs and just don't produce a to large overhead.

For further informations about snort and it's commercial applications see
sourcefire.com

Sebastian