Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Req: FTP server options

From: Brad Arlt <arlt () cpsc ucalgary ca>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 17:19:35 -0600

On Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 02:54:47PM -0500, Raymer, Dan wrote:
To start off, let me say that I understand that SCP and SFTP is the
way to go.

It is also not FTP in any way, and (IMHO) not the way to go for
anonymous access - assuming you want anonymous access.

 Knowing that, I am looking for some FTP server options
running under *nix that do not pose some of the vulnerabilities that
wu-ftp has shown over

I snapped a while back at umpteenth hack for WU-FTPd in what seemed
like a week.

http://www.proftpd.org

directions.  Given the FTP servers out there, which is the most
recommended and why?  Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Proftpd:

 - has had fewer problems than Wu
 - is all very nice an granular, like Apache's httpd - down to
        allowing or denying certain FTP commands (like httpd can
        deny HTTP methods) and other what nots
 - the name sound more business like - there is no "woo!" in it,
        only "pro" ;)

There is other propiganda on the project website, but that is why I
used it instead of Wu, and I have been quite happy with it.
   __o          Bradley Arlt                    Security Team Lead
 _ \<_          arlt () cpsc ucalgary ca                University Of Calgary
(_)/(_)         Joyously Canadian               Computer Science

Captus Networks
Are you prepared for the next Sobig & Blaster?
 - Instantly Stop DoS/DDoS Attacks, Worms & Port Scans
 - Precisely Define and Implement Network Security
 - Automatically Control P2P, IM and Spam Traffic
FIND OUT NOW -  FREE Vulnerability Assessment Toolkit
http://www.captusnetworks.com/ads/42.htm