Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: One Time Password

From: "Nick Owen" <nowen () wikidsystems com>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 15:09:59 -0400

Jensen:

Here is a pretty good list/overview.
http://www.boran.com/security/IT1x-7.html#Heading111.  It's dated though,
and doesn't include us. ;)

I recently drafted a document - for marketing purposes so take it as you see
fit - discussing how to evaluate OTP systems, in particular, ours.  It is
now available here: http://www.wikidsystems.com/WiKIDReviewersGuidev1.pdf
Even if we're not a good fit, it should give you some insight.

One thing you may want to be aware of depending on your required level of
security is what's called a 'race attack' against fixed length passcodes
http://www.tux.org/pub/security/secnet/papers/secureid.pdf), which puts the
relative security of one-time passcodes into perspective.  Essentially, an
attacker puts a keylogger on the user's PC.  They sniff and replay the first
11 digits, assuming a 6 digit PIN and a 6 digit OTP.  They then guess the
12th digit.  If it's a numeric OTP with a 3 guess max, they have a 3/10
chance of getting in.  We haven't added variable length passcodes yet, but
it's in the hopper.

Nick